We are always eager to hear from those who wish to contribute or be a part of the Strawdog family.
WORK WITH US
Strawdog Theatre Company, one of Chicago’s oldest ensemble-led theatre companies, is seeking a new Artistic Director to guide and cultivate the artistic growth of the company. The AD will be both steward of the legacy and values of Strawdog and ambassador for the Company and Ensemble. This position reports to the Board of Directors. The Artistic Director will:
ARTISTIC AND FINANCIAL LEADERSHIP
ARTISTIC GROWTH & ENSEMBLE MAINTENANCE
- Develop and articulate the vision and theme for each season consisting of a minimum of three main-stage performances.
- Lead the season selection and acquisition process in bringing exciting, compelling work to Strawdog consistent with the theatre’s mission and values in cooperation with the Literary Manager.
- Provide guidance and oversight to the Literary Manager. Conduct biannual review and performance evaluation of Literary Manager.
- Hire all production personnel, directly, or in cooperation with the Director of each production.
- Strawdog Bylaws allow for the hiring by the AD of two volunteer Associate Artistic Directors from the Ensemble to assist the AD with carrying out the duties and expectations in this description. The AD is responsible for setting goals, expectations, and accountability for AADs, and is ultimately responsible for the obligations in this description.
- Attend production meetings, first rehearsals, run-throughs, and previews of all Strawdog productions, serving as a mentor, resource, and liaison throughout.
- Work in cooperation with the Managing Director to develop production budgets for approval by the Board.
- Work in conjunction with the Managing Director to execute the operations of the theatre at no less than a break-even basis based on the annual operating budget set by the Board.
- Work with the Managing Director and/or Graphic Designer to create and maintain the visual branding for the Company and each season.
- Actively participate in developing fundraising and marketing strategies and cultivating new and existing donors.
- Attend all Board Nights, openings, industry nights, fundraisers, retreats.
- Attend all Company and, if a member of the Ensemble, Ensemble meetings.
COMMUNITY AND INDUSTRY AMBASSADORSHIP AND NETWORKING
- Coordinate and oversee secondary programming such as late nights, readings, and workshop productions.
- Be open and available to the Ensemble, regularly informing them of company business, engaging them in problem solving, and considering their recommendations.
- Cultivate and champion artistic growth for the Ensemble.
- Mentor and foster artistic leadership and skill development of the Ensemble.
- Artistic Director may participate as an artist in one Strawdog show per season.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Be a visible, positive presence in the greater Chicago theatre community, promoting Strawdog’s mission, values, and productions.
- Actively support and promote the Company’s diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Maintain a network of local and national theatre artists, staying current in the American theatre community and identifying new and emerging talent.
- Provide support to the Managing Director for neighborhood outreach.
- Provide support to the Managing Director for granting organizations, and the courting of patrons and donors.
- Act as Ex Officio member of the Board and attend all monthly Board meetings.
- Present monthly report to the Board of artistic activities, including current season updates, season selection, and production post-mortem summaries.
- Provide a timeline and benchmarks for the execution of the season.
- Participate in biannual reviews and performance evaluations conducted by the Board of Directors, Executive Committee.
$15,000/year paid monthly; W-2
TO APPLY, submit by September 15 the following to the Search Committee, at ADSearch@strawdog.org:
- Provide a statement of interest that addresses:
- Your knowledge of, and experience with, Strawdog
- Your vision for the future of the Company
- Explains how your previous experience fits our needs
- Writing Sample
Strawdog Theatre Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Where to send headshots and resumes
Strawdog holds auditions per production and accepts headshots and resumes throughout the year. It
is very important that we have current contact information. Please notify us any time you change your
telephone number or union status. Actors should send headshots and/or resumes to the attention of:
Strawdog Theatre Company
1802 W Berenice Ave
Chicago, IL 60613
Where to send plays
Strawdog is currently not accepting any unsolicited submissions of new plays or
directing proposals for our mainstage shows.